With so much emphasis on physical gifts and sales like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we often forget that sometimes the most meaningful gift we can give a loved one is to give the give of time. We live in a fast-paced world. Wouldn’t it be nice to slow down for a minute and reconnect with those people that make all the hard work worth it? We think so, too. Below are a few ideas for how you can give the gift of time to those you love this holiday season.
To Your Family
- Make time for family dinners. Reconnect, tell stories, laugh, eat.
- Volunteer to drive carpool to spend some time together.
- Plan a weekend activities that involves all member of the family. Go for a walk, go ice skating, catch a movie, or treat yourselves to a dinner at a favorite restaurant.
To Your Friends
- Go to brunch one weekend.
- Host a board game night and have friends bring over their kids, too.
- Run errands together.
- Write a letter, email, or make a phone call to a long-distance friend.
To Your Community
- Find a cause you’re passionate about then sign up to volunteer in that field.
- Involve the whole family if possible.
- Check out volunteer opportunities in Northern Virginia here: Connect Northern Virginia
- The better you take care of yourself, the more energy you will have to take care of those around you.
- Carve out as little as 10 minutes a day for dedicated Me Time. Make this time a priority as you would a doctor’s appointment and stick to it, even when life gets hectic.
- Read, do something crafty, exercise, bake, watch a movie no one else likes but you love, take a bath, build something in the garage, or do nothing at all. Whatever makes you feel whole and happy.